mother strikes back
as I write this post, I wonder how much space e-blogger is giving me. Lots I hope cos I don't forsee myself writing any less in the future. Haha!
Thank you, Sylvy and Yang Ming for giving me your comments. Tell me nasty things if you like too. Writing won't get better if everything sounds good, yes?
Recently I went back to my parent's place again because I was burnt out from work. After reluctantly taking the sick leave, I went back to find my mother in the kitchen cooking dinner for us. Almost immediately I launched into the reasons why I went to see a doctor and took sick leave -
I just blanked out
my sister encouraged me to go
the doctor said I looked like I had not slept the night before...
Can't refute the truth. Mum believed me and did not ask a single question.
'Yeah better rest', she conceded.
Alleluia, praise thy Lord!
I opened the fridge and found a cake given by a neighbour whose wife recently gave birth.
'Wow, so fast got baby already', I said to mum.
It was a butter marble cake - one of my favourites. It was cold too! In an instant, I shoved my diet aside and stuffed the chilled, sweet sponge into my mouth and in a garble of praise, gushed, 'it's good ah.'
'Yah lah, have more lah.'
'Oh no lah...going to eat dinner soon.'
Diet, diet.
The cake got me on the topic of weddings and in particular my cousin's happening in September. (methinks September is a pretty month to be married!) I have two cousins getting married soon, one this year and another one next year. I don't believe it. I grew up playing 'catching' with both of them and they are going to get hitched soon. Time, really flies.
The one getting married in September is going to do without the expensive wedding banquet. A very fashionable move these days for couples who want to keep costs low and spend on other things. In this case, it is a re-sale flat in Holland Village.
'Whoa, Holland Village! I also want!', exclaimed I - ever faithful patron of the eclectic hang-out spot though now invaded by all persons posing coolness at coffee joints in aforesaid premise.
'Yah and guess what, the cousins are not invited to the tea ceremony because they want to keep costs down,' mother said with a raised brow.
'WHAT! NO tea ceremony?!'
Despite being mentally drained by work and other concerns in life, my mind went into a flurry of thoughts at being not invited to my cousin's wedding tea ceremony for reasons, in my opinion do not sufficiently justify her very radical move.
'Then it's not official what!!!'
'How about me?'
'Isn't it very important to being Chinese?'
'Huh?'
'WHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYY?'
'I mean, it's just not right, right? How can she do this? Then it's not proper anymore what! Tea very expensive meh? She can tell us not to eat the food lah, I can go back after the ceremony no need to participate in the buffet. Wah lau!'' I fumed.
My mum was frying fish. The sound of the oil sizzling about the wet fish followed my outburst as I struggled to maintain my composure.
Mother smiled. 'I am very glad my daughter is still Chinese. I thought, of all people you would throw out such traditional practices.'
'Of course not!'
I was bewildered. My mother, of all people thought I would abandon a practice considered fundamental in my culture. I was hurt.
However, delighted that I managed to surprise my mother I went on to muse about what I wanted for my wedding.
'If I am getting married, I want a garden wedding. Probably hold it in the late afternoon so it's not too hot. Have the ceremony take place under a marquee with ceiling fans...after the ceremony the guests can have a short reception of pastry and cake before adjourning to the dinner...I want lots and lots of flowers...'
'You don't even have a boyfriend and you're dreaming? When you have the time go and look for one', mummy strucked back.
I laughed.
It's funny how my mother is so 'on' about getting me married off. What is she worried about? My eggs getting old? I am confident even at 30, I can have a healthy bouncing bundle of joy. Not that I am giving myself a target to be married by 30 but I do not think I will expire. I do not think I only have a few good years to meet boys or men, whatever, and therefore be married. I can get married even well into my 40s if it is God's plan for me.
As for children, if I cannot have ones of my own, I will adopt. There are so many abandon children out there who need love and I would be willing to give it if I could.
I am 5 years away from 30. I turn 25 in a little more than a month. I still do not have a steady boyfriend. Who cares? I don't care. Satan tries to get me worried about this every now and then by scaring me with thoughts of unworthiness, inadequacy and the like. At times I cave in and get upset but as the Lord begins to affirm my value in him, I am more than convinced that in Jesus, I have a hope and a future. Even if it means not being married.
My worth as a woman is not determined by my marital status. I am woman and I am whole, made in the image of God. Nothing can separate me from the love of Christ! 'For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels or demans, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height or depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.' (Romans 8:38-39)
Take heart my dear sisters. You are deeply loved by our Father in heaven.
Matthew 6:33-34
Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.'
Thank you, Sylvy and Yang Ming for giving me your comments. Tell me nasty things if you like too. Writing won't get better if everything sounds good, yes?
Recently I went back to my parent's place again because I was burnt out from work. After reluctantly taking the sick leave, I went back to find my mother in the kitchen cooking dinner for us. Almost immediately I launched into the reasons why I went to see a doctor and took sick leave -
I just blanked out
my sister encouraged me to go
the doctor said I looked like I had not slept the night before...
Can't refute the truth. Mum believed me and did not ask a single question.
'Yeah better rest', she conceded.
Alleluia, praise thy Lord!
I opened the fridge and found a cake given by a neighbour whose wife recently gave birth.
'Wow, so fast got baby already', I said to mum.
It was a butter marble cake - one of my favourites. It was cold too! In an instant, I shoved my diet aside and stuffed the chilled, sweet sponge into my mouth and in a garble of praise, gushed, 'it's good ah.'
'Yah lah, have more lah.'
'Oh no lah...going to eat dinner soon.'
Diet, diet.
The cake got me on the topic of weddings and in particular my cousin's happening in September. (methinks September is a pretty month to be married!) I have two cousins getting married soon, one this year and another one next year. I don't believe it. I grew up playing 'catching' with both of them and they are going to get hitched soon. Time, really flies.
The one getting married in September is going to do without the expensive wedding banquet. A very fashionable move these days for couples who want to keep costs low and spend on other things. In this case, it is a re-sale flat in Holland Village.
'Whoa, Holland Village! I also want!', exclaimed I - ever faithful patron of the eclectic hang-out spot though now invaded by all persons posing coolness at coffee joints in aforesaid premise.
'Yah and guess what, the cousins are not invited to the tea ceremony because they want to keep costs down,' mother said with a raised brow.
'WHAT! NO tea ceremony?!'
Despite being mentally drained by work and other concerns in life, my mind went into a flurry of thoughts at being not invited to my cousin's wedding tea ceremony for reasons, in my opinion do not sufficiently justify her very radical move.
'Then it's not official what!!!'
'How about me?'
'Isn't it very important to being Chinese?'
'Huh?'
'WHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYY?'
'I mean, it's just not right, right? How can she do this? Then it's not proper anymore what! Tea very expensive meh? She can tell us not to eat the food lah, I can go back after the ceremony no need to participate in the buffet. Wah lau!'' I fumed.
My mum was frying fish. The sound of the oil sizzling about the wet fish followed my outburst as I struggled to maintain my composure.
Mother smiled. 'I am very glad my daughter is still Chinese. I thought, of all people you would throw out such traditional practices.'
'Of course not!'
I was bewildered. My mother, of all people thought I would abandon a practice considered fundamental in my culture. I was hurt.
However, delighted that I managed to surprise my mother I went on to muse about what I wanted for my wedding.
'If I am getting married, I want a garden wedding. Probably hold it in the late afternoon so it's not too hot. Have the ceremony take place under a marquee with ceiling fans...after the ceremony the guests can have a short reception of pastry and cake before adjourning to the dinner...I want lots and lots of flowers...'
'You don't even have a boyfriend and you're dreaming? When you have the time go and look for one', mummy strucked back.
I laughed.
It's funny how my mother is so 'on' about getting me married off. What is she worried about? My eggs getting old? I am confident even at 30, I can have a healthy bouncing bundle of joy. Not that I am giving myself a target to be married by 30 but I do not think I will expire. I do not think I only have a few good years to meet boys or men, whatever, and therefore be married. I can get married even well into my 40s if it is God's plan for me.
As for children, if I cannot have ones of my own, I will adopt. There are so many abandon children out there who need love and I would be willing to give it if I could.
I am 5 years away from 30. I turn 25 in a little more than a month. I still do not have a steady boyfriend. Who cares? I don't care. Satan tries to get me worried about this every now and then by scaring me with thoughts of unworthiness, inadequacy and the like. At times I cave in and get upset but as the Lord begins to affirm my value in him, I am more than convinced that in Jesus, I have a hope and a future. Even if it means not being married.
My worth as a woman is not determined by my marital status. I am woman and I am whole, made in the image of God. Nothing can separate me from the love of Christ! 'For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels or demans, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height or depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.' (Romans 8:38-39)
Take heart my dear sisters. You are deeply loved by our Father in heaven.
Matthew 6:33-34
Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.'

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home