marriage
Why do people marry? I've been asking myself this question again. I had answers to it a month ago. The revelation came when I was talking to Donna at church.
Before I talk about that revelation, I must establish the premise for the discussion of this topic: reasons for marriage.
I was on one of my crush sprees again. I was really excited cos I hadn't had a crush for a long time and then, my 'crushee' was someone, I thought came very close to what I had been praying for. Argh. I began to ask myself, during one of those crazy moments of obsessing over him, why people wanted to be married.
I resolved that I would not get married for all the reasons I thought people got married for: want of companionship, loneliness, children, fear, anxiety, an essential milestone of development of an individual. I thought those reasons were self-centered reasons for marriage and did not fully justify a union that was an expensive, life-long commitment. I sought for something more than self.
The real reason for marriage is intimacy. Everyone needs intimacy. The union between a man and a woman, therefore meets this need. Marriage is God's way of meeting our need for intimacy.
The need for intimacy is great in every person. The failure to recognise this need and the solution to it, lead many to meet it with devastating consequences. Unplanned pregnancies, abortion, heart-break etc.
Marriage is serious business and takes matured individuals who have been trained in areas of commitment and character to be succesful in it. It is not something that can be decided by feeling or desire, no matter how strong these feelings may be. Marriage is also the represention of the relationship between Christ and the church; it demonstrates the kind of desire Christ has for his people. The relationship Christ desires is that his people cleaves to him, very much like how a man and a woman are in one flesh.
Hmm. Our desires are given to us for a purpose. If sex is given to us to understand this relationship, it is something really good to have. Sex, if untainted by lust and motivated by love should be very fulfilling.
Therefore it is important to preserve one's virginity for the right one to come by. It is sacred. Sex opens up the door to the physical, mental and emotional invasion by another individual. Virginity must be guarded jealously.
Before I talk about that revelation, I must establish the premise for the discussion of this topic: reasons for marriage.
I was on one of my crush sprees again. I was really excited cos I hadn't had a crush for a long time and then, my 'crushee' was someone, I thought came very close to what I had been praying for. Argh. I began to ask myself, during one of those crazy moments of obsessing over him, why people wanted to be married.
I resolved that I would not get married for all the reasons I thought people got married for: want of companionship, loneliness, children, fear, anxiety, an essential milestone of development of an individual. I thought those reasons were self-centered reasons for marriage and did not fully justify a union that was an expensive, life-long commitment. I sought for something more than self.
The real reason for marriage is intimacy. Everyone needs intimacy. The union between a man and a woman, therefore meets this need. Marriage is God's way of meeting our need for intimacy.
The need for intimacy is great in every person. The failure to recognise this need and the solution to it, lead many to meet it with devastating consequences. Unplanned pregnancies, abortion, heart-break etc.
Marriage is serious business and takes matured individuals who have been trained in areas of commitment and character to be succesful in it. It is not something that can be decided by feeling or desire, no matter how strong these feelings may be. Marriage is also the represention of the relationship between Christ and the church; it demonstrates the kind of desire Christ has for his people. The relationship Christ desires is that his people cleaves to him, very much like how a man and a woman are in one flesh.
Hmm. Our desires are given to us for a purpose. If sex is given to us to understand this relationship, it is something really good to have. Sex, if untainted by lust and motivated by love should be very fulfilling.
Therefore it is important to preserve one's virginity for the right one to come by. It is sacred. Sex opens up the door to the physical, mental and emotional invasion by another individual. Virginity must be guarded jealously.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home