Thursday, April 21, 2005

doing church

My Kor, Clarie would have been real proud of me today. Picked up the electic guitar today at friend's place and played a few power chords and rocked out with cell group mates. Amazed that I can still remember the little guitar stuff I learnt at 17, at Yamaha.

Perhaps I do have some musical giftings unexplored. Whatever it is, I am very glad that I can play without feeling self-conscious. It wasn't great stuff today. It couldn't have because I haven't played for so long. I actually do not mind learning some more so I can participate more in worship sessions. The keyboards are of course still more familiar ground. Hmmm...

I am very glad for present house church. Flo, Terence, Dawn, me. Jason and Tiau Linn were not around today. We are very real around each other, which I appreciate a lot. I do not think a lot of people can stomach our full on honesty. I guess I can't blame them. I guess we have gotten to know each in church prior to forming this house church. Therefore, being brutally honest is not hard because we have already gotten past the initial politeness in a relationship.

What's church about? Church is not about rituals. All the worship ahd bible is good but it really is not what church is about. Church is about Christiana living together. Translated to modern day terms, it means hanging out and just being oneself. In the midst of just being ourselves, relationships form and the process of imparting knowledge begins. Doing it the other way round would be unnatural and explains why there are many who drop of cell groups, complaining that they cannot relate.

I pray that our house church will, albeit being in-your-face, win souls for Christ. We will be unashamed of our humanity because in the midst of it, Christ is our strength. Others will see that our limitations prevent us from getting through this life but with Christ, we supernaturally overcome.

2 Corinthians 12:9
'...my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home