Fruit
Today was an extraordinary day. (I have a feeling that my blog is becoming more and more like an online journal rather than a place I store my writing. One of my latest convictions is to write to worship and not for people's attention.) I shouldn't say too much in parenthesis!
Today was an extraordinary day. Just when I thought the nursing fellowship was not getting any where, God showed me that he works in amazing ways.
I met up with a friend today to run. She was late and I took the opportunity to clock 45 minutes on the track because I wanted to train my heart to endure 21 km of running for the Standard Chartered half-marathon at the end of the year. I have 3 months to train for it. Little did I know she would turn up an hour late and decide not to run. I was contemplating showing a little irritation. I did not want to come across as being a push-over.
She apologised profusely. My heart did not budge. I wanted to see what else she had up her sleeve regarding her tardy behaviour. When she revealed she suspected she could be mildly depressed, I listened. Family...money...I understood how that could cause her to give up. As she went on to say how her family struggled to afford even a laptop, I knew my friend had genuine concerns.
She was still upbeat about her life nevertheless and we spent the next 3 hours talking about stuff nurses usually talk about: lusty doctors and avoiding them like the plague, past attempts by a certain flirty doctor who tried to get into a friend's pants and other rude colleagues. We were having a ball! She told me how her boyfriend chased her by saying that he was giving smoking cessation advice 'as a friend' yet dropped hints of his fondness for her. Typical ah beng! We concurred that we liked ah bengs because they take care of their girlfriends real well and are very demonstrative of their affections - a highly cherished trait compared to subtle, boys' school english-speaking types who have a string of girlfriends. Kenny once said in front of all her friends, 'Don't try to understand women, just love them can already!'
No chickens for me, baby.
We proceeded to have savoury handmade noodles made by Chinese migrants at a coffee shop at Ang Mo Kio. My encounters with foreigners, especially those who come to make a living in Singapore always inspire me to want to write about their lives. One of the enrolled nurses in the ICU holds a degree in Geography in Myanmar!
After dinner we went shopping. Sportslink was having a sale and I chanced on a nike top that was going for $24.90! A steal! I was reluctant to buy it because I had not tithed for this month. When I told my friend she offered to buy it for me! I couldn't believe it! She actually bought me a nike top!
She said my faith in God moved her to buy it. She did not want me to not have something I really wanted because I had to tithe. I couldn't believe my ears. After a weak tug of war at the top, I gave in. I was glad someone would do something so good for me. As we made our way home she said she was also impressed I would travel to meet her to run even after a long day at work.
I really did not think much of my efforts honestly. All I wanted was to encourage someone else who wanted to run. I know running alone is tedious and lonely. Making progess is hard. For me it was a commitment to an appointment and a love for the sport.
God had other plans - he gave me a friend and rewards in my ministry. I say rewards because my friend back-slided and she is just coming back to God. Her boyfriend is non-Christian. I guess ministry work is not about meeting up and singing songs. It is about loving God and loving my neighbour; being faithful in our roles and leaving the rest to God.
Tithing also took on a new perspective for me too. It is complete, whole-hearted devotion to God; giving all of me to Him.'Love the Lord your God with all our heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.'
I thank God he broke through for me after such a long, hard struggle in the dark. Praise you Jesus! I love you! More!
Today was an extraordinary day. Just when I thought the nursing fellowship was not getting any where, God showed me that he works in amazing ways.
I met up with a friend today to run. She was late and I took the opportunity to clock 45 minutes on the track because I wanted to train my heart to endure 21 km of running for the Standard Chartered half-marathon at the end of the year. I have 3 months to train for it. Little did I know she would turn up an hour late and decide not to run. I was contemplating showing a little irritation. I did not want to come across as being a push-over.
She apologised profusely. My heart did not budge. I wanted to see what else she had up her sleeve regarding her tardy behaviour. When she revealed she suspected she could be mildly depressed, I listened. Family...money...I understood how that could cause her to give up. As she went on to say how her family struggled to afford even a laptop, I knew my friend had genuine concerns.
She was still upbeat about her life nevertheless and we spent the next 3 hours talking about stuff nurses usually talk about: lusty doctors and avoiding them like the plague, past attempts by a certain flirty doctor who tried to get into a friend's pants and other rude colleagues. We were having a ball! She told me how her boyfriend chased her by saying that he was giving smoking cessation advice 'as a friend' yet dropped hints of his fondness for her. Typical ah beng! We concurred that we liked ah bengs because they take care of their girlfriends real well and are very demonstrative of their affections - a highly cherished trait compared to subtle, boys' school english-speaking types who have a string of girlfriends. Kenny once said in front of all her friends, 'Don't try to understand women, just love them can already!'
No chickens for me, baby.
We proceeded to have savoury handmade noodles made by Chinese migrants at a coffee shop at Ang Mo Kio. My encounters with foreigners, especially those who come to make a living in Singapore always inspire me to want to write about their lives. One of the enrolled nurses in the ICU holds a degree in Geography in Myanmar!
After dinner we went shopping. Sportslink was having a sale and I chanced on a nike top that was going for $24.90! A steal! I was reluctant to buy it because I had not tithed for this month. When I told my friend she offered to buy it for me! I couldn't believe it! She actually bought me a nike top!
She said my faith in God moved her to buy it. She did not want me to not have something I really wanted because I had to tithe. I couldn't believe my ears. After a weak tug of war at the top, I gave in. I was glad someone would do something so good for me. As we made our way home she said she was also impressed I would travel to meet her to run even after a long day at work.
I really did not think much of my efforts honestly. All I wanted was to encourage someone else who wanted to run. I know running alone is tedious and lonely. Making progess is hard. For me it was a commitment to an appointment and a love for the sport.
God had other plans - he gave me a friend and rewards in my ministry. I say rewards because my friend back-slided and she is just coming back to God. Her boyfriend is non-Christian. I guess ministry work is not about meeting up and singing songs. It is about loving God and loving my neighbour; being faithful in our roles and leaving the rest to God.
Tithing also took on a new perspective for me too. It is complete, whole-hearted devotion to God; giving all of me to Him.'Love the Lord your God with all our heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.'
I thank God he broke through for me after such a long, hard struggle in the dark. Praise you Jesus! I love you! More!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home