Hopeful
There are several things nurses lament about. Fatigue ranks very high on their list, next comes the absence of a love life and not having time to go out with their friends. This applies to nurses who are single. For those who are married, it would be fatigue and not being there for their families. I guess this explains why many of my sisters are nasty, even to the ill and dying. Blame us? Who is to say who is wrong?
We all struggle in our own way. Whether we are sick or well, we have our own share of hurdles to cross. It ain't easy but giving up would be a shame. We may as well not live. We should not give up on our relationships just because we do not have time for them. What would life be if we do not have people with us. They make the ordinary things extraordinary. Being alone in my room feels different when my parents are in the hall watching television, even when Dad is on his action-blood-gore rampage.
Having people around make pain easier to bear - even when they are covered with imperfections. I am still learning how to accept people for their good and bad parts, and not drop the relationships because they hurt me; while knowing that conflicts are inherent in every relationship and to resolve them before they start to fester. These are crucial lessons for life-long friendships.
So what if nurses are single! I think singlehood frees up people to fulfill their calling in God, like how Paul says 'an unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit.' Nursing is a holy calling for individuals to serve people in body and spirit. Single nurses are able to focus their energy to care for people while not having the added burdens of a family. They can work extra hours and get called back to work without disrupting their family life.
I would say it is a heroic calling. But, heroes get lonely and just like those they save, they have hearts that need tending to. This is where I see the role of the nursing fellowship. Like any other fellowship, it is for people who want to encourage and support each other in their journey. The nursing fellowship is small but I have so much hope for it. I need it as much as those who are in it. I hope it will grow deep and well. I see great time-outs, dinners, laughter, tears and hope. I pray we will grow to want to preach the good news.
Hoping. Dreaming. Yes we can make our dreams come true if they are in the Lord. 'Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.' I believe that God loves us so much, he will surely meet our needs but in his own time. If this time of singlehood is what he means for me, I will embrace it and live it to the fullest.
No more freting, no more striving to make things happen in my own strength. 'Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, then they carry out their wicked schemes.' I'm not sure what 'wicked' refers to but if it means trying to ask some guy out and make him interested in me or strategizing for love, I will surely not enjoy peace.
My cousin's wedding is coming up and my mother tells me that my auntie is asking her son-in-law to sit his single friends with me. Oh horror of horrors! I told my mother I would wear a lousy dress, gorge myself and present myself in all manner of ugliness to fend them off. Instead mum said, just be yourself and show yourself graceful. Er, more like uppity and snobbish I think. Maybe Bridget would meet her Mark that night.
Haha!
We all struggle in our own way. Whether we are sick or well, we have our own share of hurdles to cross. It ain't easy but giving up would be a shame. We may as well not live. We should not give up on our relationships just because we do not have time for them. What would life be if we do not have people with us. They make the ordinary things extraordinary. Being alone in my room feels different when my parents are in the hall watching television, even when Dad is on his action-blood-gore rampage.
Having people around make pain easier to bear - even when they are covered with imperfections. I am still learning how to accept people for their good and bad parts, and not drop the relationships because they hurt me; while knowing that conflicts are inherent in every relationship and to resolve them before they start to fester. These are crucial lessons for life-long friendships.
So what if nurses are single! I think singlehood frees up people to fulfill their calling in God, like how Paul says 'an unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit.' Nursing is a holy calling for individuals to serve people in body and spirit. Single nurses are able to focus their energy to care for people while not having the added burdens of a family. They can work extra hours and get called back to work without disrupting their family life.
I would say it is a heroic calling. But, heroes get lonely and just like those they save, they have hearts that need tending to. This is where I see the role of the nursing fellowship. Like any other fellowship, it is for people who want to encourage and support each other in their journey. The nursing fellowship is small but I have so much hope for it. I need it as much as those who are in it. I hope it will grow deep and well. I see great time-outs, dinners, laughter, tears and hope. I pray we will grow to want to preach the good news.
Hoping. Dreaming. Yes we can make our dreams come true if they are in the Lord. 'Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.' I believe that God loves us so much, he will surely meet our needs but in his own time. If this time of singlehood is what he means for me, I will embrace it and live it to the fullest.
No more freting, no more striving to make things happen in my own strength. 'Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, then they carry out their wicked schemes.' I'm not sure what 'wicked' refers to but if it means trying to ask some guy out and make him interested in me or strategizing for love, I will surely not enjoy peace.
My cousin's wedding is coming up and my mother tells me that my auntie is asking her son-in-law to sit his single friends with me. Oh horror of horrors! I told my mother I would wear a lousy dress, gorge myself and present myself in all manner of ugliness to fend them off. Instead mum said, just be yourself and show yourself graceful. Er, more like uppity and snobbish I think. Maybe Bridget would meet her Mark that night.
Haha!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home